Located in the gentle waters of the Venice Lagoon and in front of the shores of Fondamente Nove, there is an island named Murano.
This place was founded as a place of refuge for the habitants of Venice since 453 AD.
Soon, the island became important for the artistic glass. In fact, thanks to a decree of the Serenissima Republic dating back to 1295, many furnaces were transferred to Murano to prevent fire in the city center. This was an important date, in fact, from this moment on the activities of the glassmakers were all concentrated in the island.
In a short while the products of Murano gained worldwide renown. Precisely, in the course of the 15th century Murano became world famous for the production of blown glass but with the end of the Republic of Venice glass production stopped and was revived only in the 19th century.
Murano glass is not only art but also a precious dowel of the venetian story. Today in the island you can admire the Cathedral of Saints Mary and Donato, which was probably built in the 7th century. After the conquest of Kefalonia, in 1125, were placed the remains of Donato who was dedicated the name of the Church. Inside the church you can see a remarkable mosaic floor dating back to 1140 in addition to the frescoes attributed to the Giotto’s school. Unique of any kind of the religious building, this church houses a Veneto-Byzantine apse placed outside. Another important church is that of Santa Maria degli Angeli founded in the 12th century. Inside there are the paintings by Jacopo Palma “il Giovane”. In this place were buried some important people who lived during the Serenissima Republic. One of these was the Doge Sebastiano Venier, commander of the army that defeated the Turks in the naval battle of Lepanto in 1571. Today the remains are preserved in the Basilica of San Giovanni e Paolo. Wandering the streets of the island we can not forget the church of St. Peter Martyr.

Share this article

Leave a comment